Thursday, 19 July 2012

The F Word

FAT


There I said it!


I don't  have a problem with saying it either.

I don't see it as politically incorrect.

I don't see it as degrading.

It is what it is. It's fat.

I just happen to have a shit load of it. Therefore, I am fat.

I prefer to be called fat than, cuddly, stocky, very chubby, big,  well conditioned or wide.

I find those words patronising.


I definitely prefer to be called fat rather than severely morbidly obese.

The moment you bring the words "morbidly" into the discussion it brings a whole new dynamic.




Does being Fat define who I am as a person though?

Apparently it does.


I have read MANY doctors reports that read as follows:


She presented as an Obese married woman and mother of two.


So, in their eyes, I am defined by being Obese. It's the first adjective they use to describe me. Did they note I have green eyes? brown hair? long finger nails or even a tattoo ? NO ... but they are more than quick to point out I am obese.


Why do I take offence to this?


Because my weight had NOTHING to do with the reason I was sitting in their Office.

There is a time and a place for discussing my weight and its not when I am asking for a referral to an ear specialist.


For ALL of my life I have been fat. Do I like it? NO . But am I realist? YES


I am fat, but should not be defined it !



I am a wife, mother, daughter, granddaughter, Auntie, Niece, Employee & Friend who just happens to be fat.


If I was not fat, I would not have to wear elastic waisted pants !



1 comment:

  1. A previous boss of mine would refer to the plus section as the cuddly section. It drive me nuts!

    ReplyDelete