On Saturday I dropped my son and his friends at the movies. My hubby and my son's birthday's are fast approaching so I used the opportunity to do some birthday shopping.
I had my daughter (Miss 16) with me. We ended up shopping more for her than anyone else. She is a petite size 8/10 and can shop wherever she chooses. Even in the little Asian shops whose clothes seem small enough to dress a doll!
While Miss 16 was in the changing rooms, I pondered about what clothes I would chose if I were a size 14 or even a 16. I don't usually allow myself to think about these things as it usually makes me depressed. For some reason that day was an exception.
I haven't been able to personally shop for years. I had exceeded the "Large" sizes sold in the big ladies speciality stores. The last time I shopped in a store was when I was in Las Vegas 5 years ago. This is because they cater for the morbidly obese!
I usually order my clothes from the UK or the USA, even my Bra's come from over sea's!
Occasionally I will get a tailor to make me something if I am in a hurry and can find nice material.
Back to our shopping trip..... Miss 16 suggests we look in Autograph (size 16-26) . Hmmm I thought they may have some elastic waisted pants or leggings so I agreed. (they also have nice shoes)
Miss 16 was pulling clothes of racks .. "How about this?", "This would look nice" etc etc
I kept telling her nothing in the store would fit.
The shop assistant heard me and swiftly made a bee line to me with some clothes in hand. After some not so gentle persuasion, I reluctantly tried on the clothes. 2 pairs of jeans, 1 pair of pants, 1 cardigan and 3 jumpers. All but one item fit... the jumper that didn't fit was because it was too big ! a smaller size fitted perfectly!
I was really uncomfortable in the jeans and decided that now was not the time for them.
I have lots of elastic waisted pants so they went back to the shelf too.
This left 1 cardigan which I brought. It also left the 3 jumpers. In days gone by I would have snapped them up purely because they fit. It wouldn't have mattered that I didn't particularly like them, as long as they fit.
I brought 1 jumper because I loved it. The other 2 I didn't love, so I promptly sent them back.
I had a little teary moment in the fitting room. I couldn't believe what a difference 24 kgs had made.
I hadn't budgeted to spend $150 on two pieces of clothing but I really didn't care. Briefly I thought about the pile of bills I have... briefly. This was for me. This was how it was going to be. Not up for discussion.
SO thanks to Miss 16, I realised that I had reached an unplanned milestone. I had finally shopped off the rack! Something taken for granted by millions of woman around the Country... something so simple.
Now I dare to dream big.... one day I will shop off the rack at the standard sized stores. .... one day.
I definitely wont be shopping for elastic waisted pants!
No comments:
Post a Comment