Sunday, 22 July 2012

Cluttered House, Cluttered Life?


Clutter and Mess.

What does it say about someone? I have my own theory and usually it proves me correct.

When I walk into a house that is cluttered, crap everywhere, dirty floors and benches etc; one thing pops into mind immediately.

The person’s life is out of control. Why else would one have no pride to present the space that they inhibit in such a way?

My theory is based on personal experience, my first marriage was a shocker… my house was never dirty, but I didn’t put things away… every now and then I would have a big clean up, but for the most part, I was messy. There, I said it.

So, I try not to judge. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.

Some people apologise for their mess, offering excuses like, oh I work and my kids keep me busy and and and and ……

Others don’t apologise.

I don’t require an apology. I am not there to look at their house. I am there to visit them. Although it may be more pleasant if I didn’t have to look at their washing etc!
This brings me to my own current situation.

My house is always presented neat, tidy and clean.  And if I know someone is coming, the cleaning gets extra attention.  I do believe it’s a pride issue. It doesn’t matter if I have worked a 40 hour week, been a taxi to my kids, etc etc … our house is clean and tidy.

We have structure and rules.

We do not eat or drink on the couch, in bedrooms, etc
The only places we eat or drink are either at the Dining room table or the breakfast bar. No exceptions.
This means no spills on our carpet or lounge suites. We have ALWAYS lived with this rule and the kids know no different.
We all make our beds in the morning. (The simple things)
Both children have some cleaning duties and whilst not usually done to a high standard, it makes it easier for me to go over it and do it properly.

My son even has to wash his football boots after every training session and every game. I don’t like seeing children in dirty clothes or shoes.

My Grandmother always says that it doesn’t matter how poor you are, you should always have clean shoes! Of course she is right.

Am I Clutter free? No. I have little corners of my house that have little clutter issues.

I see this as a reflection of myself.  Like my house, I present myself to the world as a neat and tidy person who has her shit together. But look a little deeper and you find the corners where the clutter is buried. 

I have decided to attack the physical clutter areas one by one. I have a pile of papers over 6 inches high that need to be sorted, filled in, posted or filed. Tomorrow is the day.  I am hoping that with each pile of clutter I manage to sort out, that I can work on one internal one. Sounds good in theory hey?



 Over 6 inches of papers to be sorted


I am not sure which internal issue to choose first!

I have up until now, chosen to hide my clutter.

I have a variety of hidden clutter piles I need to address, my cupboards especially.  I want to rid my space of anything that is taking up room….. much like my life wearing elastic waisted pants.

No comments:

Post a Comment