Friday, 3 August 2012

Wedding Dress Regret & Reward


I have lots of regrets. Most of them around weight issues.
My biggest regret though is one I don’t think I have ever verbalised.

I have been married three times (twice to current hubby, long story) but I have never worn a wedding dress. I haven’t ever tried one on.

When I married the first time in 1994, I was a size 22. (A size I would be happy to be right now!)  I didn’t want to wear a wedding dress as I thought I would look like a 3 tiered cake walking down the aisle.

I had seen photos of other “large” women in their wedding dresses and decided that it wasn’t for me.

I opted instead from a skirt suit combo thingy. It was nice, probably better suited to the mother of the bride though. At the time, I was not really into the whole wedding thing anyway so how I looked didn’t really concern me. (That should have been a warning sign!) - all photo's have been destroyed... although I am pretty sure my parents have a stash!

My now hubby and I married in 2007 in Las Vegas. I actually wore a dress for the first time since I made my debut in High School! It was White and shapeless…. A bit like a chiffon sack! It was a size 6XL


At my Debutante Ball - 16 years old and size 18


In 2010 hubby and I found out that the Reverend that married us in Las Vegas had not lodged our paperwork. Therefore we were not legally married. I was devastated.  

We did not have the funds to have another wedding so we decided to get a celebrant to marry us. We stood in the celebrants lounge room with our children and my two best friends and we exchanged vows. It was extremely casual with me wearing faux jeans and a white T Shirt! Hubby wore jeans and a shirt.


Left: Vegas Wedding Sept 2007  6XL  -  Right: Local Wedding  Oct 2010 4XL


I am setting myself the ultimate Goal and the Ultimate Reward. When (note I said WHEN not IF) I reach my goal weight, we will renew our vows but this time I will be wearing a traditional wedding dress. I just haven’t told hubby yet hehehe


2 comments:

  1. Raelee I am sure you will get to this goal and will make a beautiful happy bride and fulfil your dream. I look forward to seeing photos posted :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much .... when the day arrives there will be photos EVERYWHERE ! xx

    ReplyDelete